Monday, February 14, 2011

All Love

I've never been a fan of Valentine's Day. All the cards, presents and expectations can be hard for both couples and singles. Couples try to make huge romantic gestures that likely cost a lot of money, thanks to the inflation surrounding this day. Single people feel devalued because they don't have a significant other. And that really bothers me. People in relationships are no better than single people. So why does Hallmark rub it in their faces? It's a shame that a "holiday" makes people feel badly about themselves. So historically, I have not celebrated Valentine's Day (including the years I've been with Brian).

But I've been thinking a lot about this holiday. I think it can become a whole different kind of day. People say it's a day about love, but the focus is so heavily on romantic love. Why can't be a day for all kinds of love? Sometimes we take the people we love for granted and forget to tell them how much they mean to us. I was so blessed this weekend to spend time with people I love very much and I think that they know it. I hope they know it.

Maybe sharing our love, with friends, family and signficant others, can turn Valentine's Day into a great day. Who doesn't love being told they are loved? So please, spread the love today. All kinds of love.

No comments: